Welcome to the CoursePlus Web site for THE BUSINESS OF ACADEMIC BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH (260.815.01), a course offered by the Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Addresses topics related to business aspects of academic biomedical research, and focuses specifically on organizational, managerial, political, strategic and economical characteristics of academic biomedical research. Prepares students for a career in academic biomedical research by discussing essential features for success, other than the actual science.
Upon successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Analyze the economics of academic biomedical research at an institutional and national scale
- Explain basic concepts of research institutions organizational structure and behavior
- Assess the quality of leadership & management styles in an academic research environment
- Develop competitive research project portfolios
- Define basic funding & publishing strategies
- Perform effective career planning & management
Wed 2:30 PM to 3:20 PM
PhD, ScM, MHS and MPH students. Undergraduate enrollment is possible with the consent of the instructor.
Grading Policy: Students are evaluated on their attendance and active participation in discussions, the preparation and presentation of a short paper on a specific topic.
Grading Restrictions: Pass and Fail