HEALTH ECONOMICS III Syllabus

313.645.01 | AY 2013-2014 - 4th Term | 3 Credit(s)
W 3:30:00 PM
  • Contact Information
    Faculty
    Antonio Trujillo
  • Course Learning Objectives

    Information not required for this course type

  • Course Description

    This course facilitates the completion of the requirements of the MHS in Health Economics in either the Department of Health Policy and Management (HPM) or International Health (IH). Lectures and discussion integrate health economics material completed over the course of the program, which will be assessed through a comprehensive examination. The course also requires the completion of a scholarly article.

    This course will include two lectures on advance topics in cost-effectiveness analysis. The aim of these lectures is to build up on the material covered in the previous two courses. In particular, the students will be introduced to advance material on how to incorporate issues of uncertainty as well as sensitivity analysis in the evaluation.
     
    Four additional lectures will be devoted to cover macroeconomics aspects of health and delivery of health services. Our focus will be to assess how aggregate constraints affect individual behaviors and the optimal allocation of resources in the health sector. Examples from High Income and LMICs will be used to illustrate the relevance of the topics covered in class.
     
  • Intended Audience
    MHS in health economics students from HPM and IH
  • Methods of Assessment

    Assessment for this course will be based off a written paper (35%), two problem sets (total 15%), and final examination (50%). 

  • Prerequisites
    313.641 and 313.644
  • Required Text(s)
    1) Getzen, Thomas E (2010).  Health Economics and Financing. Fourth Edition. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 
     
    2) Folland, Sherman, Goodman, Allen. C., Stano, Miron (2013). The Economics of Health and Health Care. Seventh Edition.
     
  • Course Schedule

    Please see the course Session for a full list of dates and items for this course.

  • Academic Ethics Code

    Students enrolled in the Bloomberg School of Public Health of The Johns Hopkins University assume an obligation to conduct themselves in a manner appropriate to the University's mission as an institution of higher education. A student is obligated to refrain from acts which he or she knows, or under the circumstances has reason to know, impair the academic integrity of the University. Violations of academic integrity include, but are not limited to: cheating; plagiarism; knowingly furnishing false information to any agent of the University for inclusion in the academic record; violation of the rights and welfare of animal or human subjects in research; and misconduct as a member of either School or University committees or recognized groups or organizations.

  • Disability Support Services
    If you are a student with a documented disability who requires an academic accommodation, please contact the Office of Student Life Services at 410-955-3034 or via email at dss@jhsph.edu.